"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere." - Albert Einstein

I dream big and can easily be swept away with my imagination. I have had so many hobbies over the past 20 years and now I am starting yet another. My hobbies range from crafting to movie making and dreaming about writing children's books. I find myself caught up in my head, day dreaming of how I can portray my experiences, desires, and memories. I hope my blog entertains, inspires, and helps you laugh about your own silly quirks.

Friday, August 13, 2010

Friday the 13th

Friday the 13th a day potentially filled with mayhem and unusual happenings.  Even though I have a calendar brain, live off of one at work, and plan most of my life around one- I forgot that today was Friday the 13.  (until...) Until, things just started to suck at work today, which didn't take long.  I believe I was at work for about 12 minutes before I got the call that changed the whole day.  Managing a staff is no easy task and today proved to be a challenging one.  Besides being told I "look tired", which is always uplifting to hear when you are cranky, the issues were pretty typical.  A "no call, no show" followed by one of the lamest texts I have read in a while from an employee/friend.  A reoccurring issue with this employee.  On the surface it seems pretty straight forward as to how to deal with this but it is never what it seems and there is always way more drama underneath it all.  I am not sure why I was so surprised by the events of the day.  I do know I was hurt and my stress level spiked.  I thoroughly appreciated that I work where there are 85 miles of hiking trails because I wanted to escape the office and walk all of them.  A quick jaunt down one foot path helped calm my nerves and face the impending situation.  I tried to fake the next couple of hours with the rest of the staff and put on a happy face.  Which wasn't too hard since they are all pretty cool and I really appreciate all of their quirks and hilarious ways.  I was able to catch up on the random guest gossip and sat at lunch with my hand over my mouth in disbelief of someo of the things I was hearing.  The demise of the employee/friend is still in the process of being decided by the higher ups but either way the whole thing is a mess.  Shifts for the weekend and all next week have to be covered- this is never an easy feat.  Of course while doing this I realize I made mistakes on the staff schedule for next week and have to make more phone calls, send out even more emails while crossing my fingers and telling myself it will all work out even though we have 90 kids and over 400 guests in house almost every night next week. Just when I think thinks are starting to settle my computer decides to let a virus onto the laptop I use at work.  I internally freak out and get in touch with IT.  Of course they masterfully take charge and fix it.  The dorky part about the whole thing is apparently a new way "worms" or "hackers" (whatever) are getting into people's computers are through craft ads, lol!  I was looking up punch tin patterns for Christmas crafts and my computer went psycho!   CRITICAL was flashing in red letters.  What does that mean?  Is my computer going to melt?  Great!, I thought this is just what I need.  It was resolved and actually wasn't as big a deal as I initially thought.  Eventually the day went back to business as usual and the clock struck 5:00 p.m.  I grabbed my bag and headed out the door.  I was having friends over for dinner tonight so I was really looking forward to that and leaving my stress at work.  Thankfully my awesome husband took care of the grill and with the help of my guests the meal came together- and I was able to pull off a 8 min power nap while I waited for them to arrive. 

Now I am sleepy and should probably start to head in.  Hopefully I can start writing on a daily basis but I am not putting any pressure on myself. 

Good Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment