"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere." - Albert Einstein

I dream big and can easily be swept away with my imagination. I have had so many hobbies over the past 20 years and now I am starting yet another. My hobbies range from crafting to movie making and dreaming about writing children's books. I find myself caught up in my head, day dreaming of how I can portray my experiences, desires, and memories. I hope my blog entertains, inspires, and helps you laugh about your own silly quirks.

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Jewelry Box Inspiration - Halloween Costumes

Halloween is 2 weeks away!  For those of you that have not nailed down your Halloween costumes for yourself  here are some approachable suggestions that will ease any stress you are having.  

Picking a costume can be such an arduous task for most people.  What to be?  Will it look cool? The one I hear the most is 'I don't want to spend a lot of money'. So then don't!  Try going through your jewelry boxes, your Moms', or even your Grandmothers' for some quick inspiration.  You will be surprised with what you find and come up with.

Here are six costume ideas I put together from just 15 minutes of exploring my jewelry boxes.

 A) Gypsy  

I did cheat here a little by adding in a bandana/scarf I had from my Mom but it was right near my jewelry boxes so I couldn't resist.  The bold blue necklace and medusa/snake pin were my Nana's.  I think the necklace would make a great signature piece here.  Bangles from college.  Earrings form my chandelier earring phase.  Orange and red beaded ring from H&M and the green ring from my childhood.  Costume jewelry hoop earrings from high school.  

As you dig through your closet, the rest of the outfit can be easily put together with a long skirt (any color).  Preferably one that is a bit bohemian but if you don't own anything like that, then a simple long black skirt or dress that has movement to it when you walk would be great.  If you plan to be outside any kind of sweater would work and top it off with pashmina shall - (you know you have one somewhere left over from a bridesmaid outfit).  If you are going to be inside more, than a plain tank top or peasant shirt would be very fitting.  You'll most likely find them in your summer bin.  Still throw on that pashmina shall and the outfit will look classic.


B) Hippie
 

Velvet choker with pink butterfly was my Mom's.  Red earrings from a trip to Mexico.  Seed bead necklaces I made in middle school.  Rainbow clay bead from a crafts' fair in Lake George.

I personally think this is one of the easier costumes to put together.  The rest of the outfit could entail a pair of jeans, they don't have to be bell bottoms but if you own bell bottoms bonus!  A t-shirt or solid print tank top. (Extra bonus if you can find a tie dye shirt)  If you own clogs or platform shoes definitely wear them they will help tie the outfit together.  Finally, if you have ribbon, even curling ribbon for gift wrapping, wear your hair down and tie the ribbon across your forehead.  It's Halloween, so embrace the fun of it.

C) Old Grandma Money Bags



The oodles of fake pearls are a mixture of my childhood pearls and Mardi Gras beads.  The clip on pearl earrings and star burst pearl brooch were my Nana's.  Finally the stretchy faux  diamond cuff was a flea market find my parents gave me as dress up jewelry as a child.

This one is my favorites.  I think this collection/costume needs some large stone rings.  I can also imagine a fur hat and maybe a muff (fake or real according to your own personal feelings).  I think a pair of gloves and a handkerchief would be appropriate.  Under all of these accessories a simple black dress and 'comfortable and modest' black heels would tie it all together.
   

E) Diva Rock Star 

The sparkly gold bangles are a throw back to my college years.  The very large hoop earrings were from a funk/disco costume.  The star necklace was an impulse buy from Forever 21 several years ago. The length is so long but I love it and you'd be surprised how much it comes in handy to dress up an outfit.  The gold necklace is another piece I was given as a child.

I think any kind of animal print pants, skirt, or dress here would be very appropriate here.  If you are not that adventurous black pants and a neon shirt would also go.  Also sequins go a long way here, either in a mini skirt or in a top.  Lastly, strap on a pair a of heels and you are one fierce woman.  The heels don't even need to match perfectly, remember you are a diva she-woman so own it and it will look fabulous.


F) Hawaiian Tropic




All except one of the pieces above were souvenir gifts from family and friends' trips to Florida and Hawaii.  The only one that wasn't was the monochrome shell necklace that I picked up at Salvation Army.


The rest of the costume can be put together with a bright and colorful shirt, maybe something that already has flowers on it.  If you have a floral dress that will work too.  To top it off if you have a fake flower from any holiday decorations or gift wrapping tuck that behind your ear, put on a pair of sunglasses, and you are golden!

G) White Rabbit
 

Some may look at this and be inspired in another direction but when I look at these two pieces I see the cute furry White Rabbit from 'Alice in Wonderland'.  The necklace clock and sweater clip were both my Nana's.  Two of my favorite pieces I was given after she passed away.  

The rest of the costume can be easily put together with a vest that you could borrow from your husband, partner, Dad or brother, rabbit ears (that can be made with simple white computer paper and a headband), eyeliner whiskers, and a cotton ball tail.  Don't worry about the rest of the details, people will get the costume.



I hope I was able to inspire you.  Have a safe and fun Halloween!

Please leave any comments below, your input is greatly appreciated.

AP

2 comments:

  1. I love this Annie!!! I love all of these ideas, and even more so am impressed at how you are able to remember each and every piece, where it came from, when you bought it or was given to you, and how you've used it to accessorize in the past. This is definitely a guide everyone can easily follow and be inspired to use their own pieces--most of which they have probably forgotten about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elena! I had a lot of fun writing this post. Sitting going through my jewelry boxes is such a fun thing to do so any excuse I can get to do so I'm all over it!

      Delete